Thursday, September 11, 2008

Accu-Chek Meter Infrared Cable

Accu-Chek Infrared Cable

The Accu-Chek Meter Infrared Cable gives users a way for Accu-Chek Compact Plus and Aviva meters to connect wirelessly to desktop and laptop computers equipped with suitable glucose management software such as Accu-Chek Compass software. This accessory cable, makes the job possible.

It has a 9-pin serial connector which only works on older laptops and most desktops. If you have a newer USB-only laptop or desktop computer, you'll also need a USB to serial adapter to make the connection.

I have a USB-only laptop and when I received the unit from Roche, there were no drivers that came with it for Windows XP and USB, so installing the infrared cable required some hunting for a USB to Serial Driver driver. Not sure about Windows Vista users require but Windows 98 users will need to download drivers for the Tekram iRMate 210 available on the Tekram website.

...

Accu-Chek Infrared Cable Package Users with serial cables should be able to use the infrared cable with the Accu-Check compass software right out of the box. I wish Roche would make it easier for users by including a simple setup program that would detect what the type of setup the user has and do an automatic installation.

Once the unit is connected and drivers are installed, using it is a breeze from within the Accu-Chek Compass software. Just press 2 buttons on your meter and select the correct meter from the list within the software.

Compatible Meters:

  • Accu-Check Aviva
  • Accu-Check Compact
  • Accu-Chek Compact Plus
  • Accu-Check Go
  • Accu-Chek Active
  • Accu-Chek Pocket Compass Diabetes Care Software for Palm Devices
  • Other Accu-Chek Meters equipped with IR Key (separate purchase)

I highly recommend this accessory because it allows you to use diabetes management software which should (in my opinion) come standard for computer users. Good diabetes software will produce graphs and charts that will really enable you to get a better handle on the state of your health and should help you and your physician work out better treatment. Over the long run, this will reduce the affects of low blood sugar and could delay or prevent the onset of complications such as neuropathy, blindness, kidney failure, heart disease and amputations related to diabetes.

Over the last 3 months alone, I have taken my own HbA1C average from 6.8 to 6.2 by properly adjusting my carbs, insulin and exercise based on charts and graphs. That's well below the minimum of 7.0 and I'm currently working on a target A1C of 5.9.  That's what it's all about as far as I'm concerned.

The cable will cost you around $29.95 if you order it online from Roche. I received mine free from Roche customer care by explaining that I purchased my Compact Plus meter ONLY because I was told by the retailer that I could download my readings directly to my laptop computer. The rep asked me for the serial number of my glucometer and shipped the cable AND the Accu-Chek Compass diabetes management software by express post. I received it within 3 days. Roche customer service is second to none in this respect and you may have a similar experience if you call them.

(*1-800-858-8072 US and 1 800 363-7949 Can.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails